Monday, July 25, 2005

Sake Cups & Partnership

Previous Total: $22.56

Current Total: $2.56

Stock: 17 sake cups (half ownership)

My wife and I went to a get together last night and I was talking to some of them about my $20 to $5,000 challenge and told them that one of my biggest problems with this task is finding the time to do it. As much time as I spend on savingadvice in addition to my other commitments, I have limited time to try and make the money.

I sell a lot of Japanese medals in my spare time because there is a decent profit margin and by doing so, it allows me to spend more time on the website (instead of going out and finding a part-time job to earn some extra cash). I know that there is quite a bit of potential profit in Japanses sake cups, but I don't sell them very often because of the time it takes to wrap them so they don't break while being shipped overseas. For the limited time I have, medals make more sense because they are easy to wrap and send meaning I can list more of them each week.

While talking, one of them suggested a split of duties: if I list the items, she will wrap, address and send them - we split the profits 50/50. If all I have to do is take the photos and list the items, then I should have time to do this and it could turn out to be quite profitable. I also have complete confidence with her wrapping the items as she is a perfectionist in such things.

Today I went to a local flea market and picked up a few nice boxes of cups. One box in particular I'm excited to list as I think they will sell quite well. I purchased 17 cups total for $40 ($20 mine, and $20 hers) which puts me down to only $2.56, but it's a chance worth taking. This will most likely be the make or break purchase of my challenge. if this works out, I should have a money cushion even if I make some mistakes later on. If not, I am counting that the promised sale of the Star Wars card sets comes through since I will need that money if this fails.

The cup price of about $2.35 a cup was a great find - usually these cups sell for $5 - $10 each when sold individually, so the bulk buy was the way to go). Not all of them are in perfect condition, but that is part of the risk in buying in bulk. Luckily, most are in good condition. A few have rim chips and acouple have hairline cracks, but even with the imperfections, the patterns are good and I still think they will sell. I will be listing them tomorrow and will keep my fingers crossed.

There hasn't been a whole lot of movement on the Olympic pins and medals I listed for my friend since the burst of bidding when they were first listed. Ebay tends to be this way - most bidding takes place on the first and last day of the auctions. I have some more items from him to list to, so tomorrow is going to be a busy listing day.

Time to start taking photos and preparing the listing for tomorrow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home